After hearing from several of you (via Facebook or email), I decided on my dream solution (home-made twig / branch / bamboo cage tied together with string) (thanks, Meredith!) and also decided on my 2013 solution based on affordability (last year’s tomato cages, DOUBLE-sterilized).
Aside: This year’s tomato plants are the best EVER grown in my garden! I really hope they survive and are fruitful, but either way I am learning.
Both last fall and just before installation, I cleaned them with a strong bleach solution. I think I also used soap in the solution last fall. Hopefully, the early blight will not find these gorgeous plants! Next year, homemade branch cages tied with twine will reign the garden.