Zucchini and the little round summer squash are coming out of our ears!
This weekend I tried two new recipes to utilize our bounty.
I failed to take good pictures of this one, but it worked out deliciously with the little round squash. The picture is courtesy of the same website where I found the recipe, mywholefoodlife.com.
5-10 pattypan squash or other summer squash, sliced thin
2 Tbsp coconut oil
1 tsp sea salt
Preheat oven to 215. Remove the ends of the squash and slice thin. Lay the slices on a greased or lined baking sheet. Brush the slices with (melted) coconut oil and sprinkle with salt. Bake for 2 hours in the oven, stopping to flip them halfway through.
These came out a little chewy and not quite dry when done in the oven for 2 hours. We thought they had the consistency of dried apricots. I probably would let them go longer next time. If you have a dehydrator, I’m sure that works even better!
Zucchini / squash bread
This bread is delicious and not too sweet. It could technically be called a hybrid squash bread/banana bread, since banana is subbed in place of several typical ingredients. We did not even miss the gluten or sugar in this recipe! I highly recommend it.
Sadly, the website I found the recipe on (it was called megsvegucation.com) is no longer active! Luckily, I had saved it on my computer, so here it is:
1 cup peeled, shredded zucchini (I used the little round squash and some yellow squash)
1 ripe banana
1/4 cup honey or maple syrup (I used honey)
pinch of salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
3 teaspoons cinnamon
1 1/2 cups almond flour (or food processed raw almonds)
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
2. Peel & cut up the zucchini. If you are going to use a food processor or blender to mix, you can leave the zucchini in small pieces. If you plan on hand mixing, shred or dice the zucchini.
3. Combine dry ingredients in a bowl & set aside.
4. Put wet ingredients in a food processor & pulse until foamy.
5. Add in dry mixture slowly until dry and wet ingredients have fully combined.
6. Add zucchini in and pulse lightly (or gently fold in).
7. Set zucchini mixture in bread pan & place in the oven for 45-50 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
Nutritional Information: Calories: 128 Fiber: 2g Sugar: 7g